Crossover sound quality - Analogue vs Digital

More
13 years 6 months ago #10254 by Xoc1

Well, the post is about comparing the two for quality, not what we prefer to use.

OK then. If money, time, size, and lack of flexibility are no object the I vote Analogue smiley20
If Real world, like for like, cost comparison, out of the box, I vote digital. smiley15
I'm doing a gig tonight -
The reverb is digital.
The Monitors will go through a feedback destroyer (Automatic Digital EQ)
The PA will be driven thru the DCX Digital crossover.
Everything that I amplify will have gone though at least one digital interface
The band thankfully are analogue, and maybe thats what really matters! smiley1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #10256 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Crossover sound quality - Analogue vs Digital
I've done Hi Fi shows powering a 4 way active speaker system with a BSS 388, that went straight to 4 big valve amps. I've never had anyone make comments (apart from good ones). In a blind test, a lot of people wouldn't know. Not even the hard Audiophiles.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 6 months ago #10257 by mykey-
digital.............DJ mixer - digital LMS - Amps - speakers

analogue.........DJ mixer - rack full of items - crossover - amps - speakers

to many things to go wrong, at least with one item you know where to look

and look at how many leads are involved, all you need is a dodgy conecter smiley11

More
13 years 6 months ago #10265 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Crossover sound quality - Analogue vs Digital
This debate could go on for ever, because there is always more than one consideration. For all the facilities you get in one box, DSP has to win, but it's one box, and if that fails, you could lose the lot. I did a new years eve gig in St David's hall in london years ago, and I was using a Saori X/O which I still have. In spite of fighting everybody off away from our camp, all of a sudden, half the system went down. Panic ensues and I'm looking at half the amps with no signal. Then I noticed clear liquid dripping from the top of the rack into the x/o. Someone had spilt Champagne over the rack. Fortunately, it evaporates quick without leaving any sediment, and in about ten minutes it was back on. Of course, that ten minutes seemed like an hour. That's what can happen with a single unit situation.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #10270 by mykey-
I tell you a quick funny one about me and Phil

I go to help him out in a club in Southend that you used to do apparently, he had his scoops etc and his baracuda pre i think it was, also a baracuda amp, he's puffing away on his spliff and as usual it makes him sleepy, all of a sudden the whole system goes off, just after a heavy b line, he comes to and starts running around like a headless chicken, I let him panic for a few minutes (to him seemed like an hour) then I walked over to the 13amp wall socket, and kicked it back in :lol: the bass shook the thing out the wall :lol:
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by mykey-.

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #10277 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Crossover sound quality - Analogue vs Digital

mykey- wrote: all of a sudden the hole system goes off, just after a heavy b line, he comes to and starts running around like a headless chicken, I let him panic for a few minutes (to him seemed like an hour) then I walked over to the 13amp wall socket, and kicked it back in :lol: the bass shook the thing out the wall :lol:

smiley36

How many scoops on the amp, which drivers ?

Very few setups could do that off 1x 13A plug, and I'm not saying why... smiley2

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
13 years 6 months ago #10280 by bee
ive had to tape the on off switch on a socket before cos the base kept, making the switch drop on its own....... mind you they where well old sockets, the old brass type, with the switch was was like on a bull bearing.......... dont see this kind of socket no more.......

More
13 years 6 months ago #10281 by mykey-
it was 6 scoops lev, fane colosuss (400 watt) drivers

that barracuda was awesome, switchemode as well, probably one of the first?

More
13 years 6 months ago #10284 by saul

mykey- wrote: that barracuda was awesome, switchemode as well, probably one of the first?

is this a wind up?

More
13 years 6 months ago #10285 by bee
did i hear some where that the ffa amps circuits are a copy of the barracuda's........... dont quote me.....

Time to create page: 0.397 seconds