cubo 12

More
13 years 5 months ago #10349 by Daryll
Replied by Daryll on topic cubo 12
Would the BMS 12N630 work with this cab ?.
Pdf for the speaker is bmsspeakers.com/fileadmin/bms-data/produ...ms_12n630_t_data.pdf .
I seem to have loads of 18mm birch ply left over , is it possible to use this as the top , base and sides , using 15mm for all the internals , maybe using 18mm for the baffle board , adjusting the other measurements to suit.

Cheers

Daryll

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #10357 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cubo 12
The Delta 12LF will work in Cubo 12 but due to the high Qes will not have the deepest response possible.

The BMS 12N630 will not have the highest sensitivty possible (still respectible for it's size) but take loads of power mechanically. With a suitable high pass it's an other example of a driver that will likely be limited by it's electrical power handling (that's a good thing though).

Personally I would make the internal panels out of 15 mm and the outside panels out of 18 mm ply as you suggested. I wiould keep the horn measurements in the beginning of the horn the same on the expense of the dimensions at the end of the horn. So 4.5 cm stays 4.5 cm, 9.3 cm stays 9.3 cm but 16 cm becomes 15.4 cm and 24.2 cm becomes 23.6 cm. This way you can leave the front panel the same size as per plans.
You could reduce the internal width to 41.3 cm to maintain an overal width of 45 cm or keep the internal width at 41.9 cm to keep changes of the panels, look and performance to a minimum.

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 5 months ago #10398 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic cubo 12
how about the Dayton PA310-8 12" Pro Woofer thes look well build and they r cheap
www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... 5-032&FTR=
or the eminence delta 12lfa

More
13 years 5 months ago #10423 by Cubo15
The Dayton PA310-8 12" driver looks like a good budget buy for Cubo 12, except for the pressed basket it looks similar to the Eminence Kappa 12 Pro (aluminum basket).. For opinions on the Eminence Delta LF look at my previous post ;)

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 5 months ago #10451 by Daryll
Is there a recommended driver for this , and if there is , is it available in 4 OHM version?

Cheers

Daryll

More
13 years 5 months ago #10475 by Cubo15
There isn't a recommended driver yet, unlike Cubo 15 however I recommend to spend more on the driver. The cabinet is much smaller then Cubo 15 so one could argue that it relies more on driver performance. The Dayton PA310 from a few posts above seems like a good budgetary driver.

Some pics of recently finsihed cabinets:

[img

ImageShack.us
[img

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 4 months ago #10673 by Daryll
Would there be any advantage in "V" coupling a pair of these , ie , on their side , horn mouth to horn mouth ?

Daryll

More
13 years 4 months ago #10676 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic cubo 12

Daryll wrote: Would there be any advantage in "V" coupling a pair of these , ie , on their side , horn mouth to horn mouth ?

Daryll

my understanding is that they work like a tapped horn, so no, but someone tell me if i'm wrong. Cubo?

More
13 years 4 months ago #10677 by Cubo15
Even a tapped (band pass) horn can gain some extra dB or low frequency cutt off by using V-coupling or an other form of horn extension. However for a tapped horn there is some sort of a maximum (ussually less then 60 cm), whereas a front loaded horn generally benefits as long as the length versus mouth circumference (ratio) is kept in check. A tapped horn ussually develops nasty dips or spikes in the response above a certain length of horn extension. The horn cutt-off will always increase but due to the irregularities the frequency response might not improve at all.
Also for a tapped horn, excursion will be raised as effectively the tuning is lowered. Luckily excursion doesn't seem the limiting factor with most drivers I have tested.

Theoretically Cubo 12, 15 and 18 should benefit (Fc ~ 5 Hz lower with sustained sensitivty) but I rather do some measurements first. As I do have some fisished Cubo 12's awaiting pick up, I might as well do some measuring next week. I will also measure my Cubo 18X's around new years eve V-plated, as they should model well enough for Cubo 15 and Cubo 18.

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 4 months ago #10679 by CuttaBoi
Replied by CuttaBoi on topic cubo 12
Hi cubo, could you please advice how the eminence BP102 (40hm) 10" driver would perform, I've compared the specs with the guidelines you've outline and and there within the some of the quoted specs.

heres a link to the BP102 details

eminence.com/pdf/LEGEND-BP102-4.pdf

cheers smiley20

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds