Cubo 15

More
7 years 8 months ago #23504 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
I couldn't find the Xmech rating, so it might be, might not be. It certainly isn't what the driver was designed for and for the price it sells at, I wouldn't expect it to do so. It's good value for money but it is and stays a nice step in model, with the better driver easily costing 2 -3 times as much. You want to give it more power, spend a little bit more.

Best regards

Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #23508 by Santanu Mallick
Replied by Santanu Mallick on topic Cubo 15
Hello Cubo

I am planning to make a cubo 15 with kappa pro 15lf-2. I have seen the diagrams. What I am not sure about is how the speaker is mounted once the enclosure is complete. I would also like to know from where the connection wire runs. It will be very helpful if you could give me a detailed box plan.

More
7 years 7 months ago #23521 by Cubo15
I would start with the magnet visible, change around if needed. The connection panel is usually located on the back, horizontally and/or vertically centred. There is a wire going from the loudspeaker terminals to this back panel, just run it through the available space in the design, till it connects. Long wires are best supported with a glue spot here or there.

There are several build pics of Cubo 15 in this thread, most of which are in order of assembly and should give a good overview of the required steps to take.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 7 months ago #23542 by Nightrockers
Replied by Nightrockers on topic Cubo 15
Hello Cubo,

Do you know if i can use this speaker in your cubo 15/cubo sub or an another tapped horn ?

Thank's for you'r reply !

Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #23551 by Cubo15
According to the T/S-parameters it is a typical all-round reflex driver and probably an old one. Which means you could either use it in a tapped horn or in Cubo 15 Extended. Due to the limited Xmax it will work in Cubo Sub but there it will have a limited amount of power it can take, for anything beyond use in and around the house, I wouldn't recommend Cubo Sub.

Keeping it at my own designs, I would say it's most suited for Cubo 15 Extended (for most output). In Cubo Sub it will take a couple 100's of Watts. In any design it will like a high pass at 30 - 40 Hz, preferably steep.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 6 months ago #23606 by DemonKnight
Replied by DemonKnight on topic Cubo 15
Dear Mr Cubo,
I play guitar in a band and we tune very low. To a low C1 on , most songs, so my concerns are that when I wanted to mic up.... I need something capable of hitting the lows from the bass guitar.

So far from my research I have learned that the bass Guitar produces the corresponding frequencies when tuned accordingly to these keys......
The Bass guitar Frequency reference table is
E1 (standard tuning) 41.20
D#1/ Eb1 38.89
D1 36.71
C#1/ Db1 34.65
C1 32.70 (we are tuned here)
Which leads me to this question.....
Will I need an enclosure that is tuned to at least 32HZ to be able to properly reproduce the Bass guitar frequencies when playing through the PA? I am unsure of the needs of a crossover unit in this situation, and where it should be set as to not over work the speaker.
If you can explain this to me...

I am hoping that your Cubo enclosures will provide me with these frequency requirements (if need be)
I would be very grateful for suggestions, and open for an alternative compact solution.

Thank you in advance for any and all questions, and help.. Have a wonderful day!

More
7 years 6 months ago #23625 by DemonKnight
Replied by DemonKnight on topic Cubo 15
I addressed this question to Mr Cubo directly through email, and he has been kind enough to answer this for me.. I will post his quote for others who are interested as well..

MR Cubo said " You gotta question yourself if you really need a cabinet that does actually produce 30 Hz.

The thing about bass guitar is that a lot of the actual (dominant) sound characteristics of the guitar is based on higher harmonics rather than the ground tones. So even though a lower C will have a ground tone of 30-ish Hz, the dominant part of the sound is much more higher order harmonics, 45 - 60 - 90 - 120 Hz and so on.

A cabinet that is loud, does 30 Hz and is portable, is going to need a big American car (let alone 2 of those cabinets), something like Cubo Sub would suffice. A cabinet like the THAM 12 (or it's rough equivalent Cubo 12) is going to be almost as loud but at least 3 times as small.

Most bass guitar players I know off, either use Cubo 12 (45 - 50 Hz and up) or Cubo 15 (35 - 40 Hz and up). These cabinets are usually crossed at 100 - 120 Hz, so you would probably still like a direct radiator above that (a single 8" or 10"). Same goes for the THAM and most other PA-bass cabinets..
..........................................................................................................................................
The ear becomes more sensitive as frequency rises, that's why a pure 32 Hz tone will probably drown in the output of the harmonic distortion, as that's much higher in frequency and thus much easier perceived by human hearing.

I then asked Mr Cubo after deciding on the Cubo 18" "I didn't see a list of recommended drivers for the 18" version of the CUBO extended? Would you perhaps have them available as well?")

Mr Cubo replied
"The reason there's no list of recommended drivers for Cubo 18, is that it would be easier to make a list of drivers that are not suited. The combination of Cubo 18 Standard and Extended will work with the vast majority of 18" PA-drivers out there (90% plus), either the Standard version is most suited or the Extended version is.
For the Kappa Pro 18LF that would be Cubo 18 Extended, which will be usable from 35 - 40 Hz and up, so in combination with a crossover around 100 - 110 Hz, giving a very thick low end to any bass guitar.
...........................................................................................................................................
I asked Mr Cubo ("What would be the most bang for the buck Cubo 15 vs 18)
Most bang-for-the-buck would probably be the Eminence Kappa 15LF in Cubo 15 Extended, though if you want to go as low as reasonably necessary the Kappa 18LF would give a bit more in a cabinet of about equal size.

In any case I would recommend using a ~18 dB/octave high pass at 30 - 35 Hz for the 18" and 35 - 40 Hz for the 15". That's to prevent against over-excursion below that frequency and no matter which sub enclosure you use, it will benefit from a correctly (specific to the cabinet and driver) set high pass.

Always nice to see the Cubo-name spread but even better is to see pictures :)

Best regards Johan
.....................................................................................................................................
Demonknight says.....
Thank you kind sir!!!! The sharing of your extensive knowledge with others, and the selfless giving of your help has been greatly appreciated! I will try to post pictures when I have a chance.. :cheer:

More
7 years 4 months ago #23657 by beatdancer
Replied by beatdancer on topic Cubo 15
hey there,
i got only a question to the controller setup - especially to the delay. what´s your opinion?
i planned to build two cubo´s with the "Mivoc MPA SWA-15100 C8" in extended version.
thanks a lot and greets from germany,

daniel

More
7 years 4 months ago #23663 by BennyBoyNat
Replied by BennyBoyNat on topic Cubo 15
Hi cubo, I am new to this site ( been looking on it for a few years though) how well would these drivers work if at all
Beyma 15WR400, Oberton 15b500, fane pro15600lf and fane sovereign 600lf.
Many thanks

More
7 years 4 months ago #23665 by Cubo15
@ Beatdancer: Most people seem to use Cubo 15 without delay on the tops, I've done so too and normally didn't bother to use delay. Some drivers might benefit though, in the order of 5 ms. Low pass @ 35 - 40 Hz, high pass around 90 - 110 Hz, not much else to it. Perhaps some EQ to taste?
The Mivoc MPA SWA-15100 C8 looks like a good driver, perhaps a bit optimistic with that 700 W power rating but all else looks good for Cubo 15 Extended.

@ BennyBoyNat: The Beyma 15WR400 is a nice budget driver but a bit lightweight on part of the Xmax
The Oberton 15b500 looks good all round in Cubo 15 Extended or perhaps better in Cubo 15 Extra Extended.
The Fane Pro 15600lf is a pro budget driver, and in most important aspects a small upgrade over the
Fane Sovereign 600lf (which is much like the Eminence Kappa 15LF).

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: beatdancer, BennyBoyNat

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds