db-mark processors

More
12 years 14 hours ago #17651 by godge
db-mark processors was created by godge
Anyone here got any experience with using the db-mark loudspeaker management systems. I've currently got myself a void digidrive but I'm quite liking the look of the db-mark two in eight out system. Is there any massive differences between the two, apart from the extra outs on the db-mark, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 14 hours ago #17653 by saul
Replied by saul on topic db-mark processors
hoping to get my mitts on one soon...

currently borrowing an Xilica (void) from the good man sam, and i have to say, it's pretty good...

More
12 years 14 hours ago #17654 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic db-mark processors
Sorry change of mind.

More
12 years 13 hours ago #17655 by godge
Replied by godge on topic db-mark processors
I think these days when it comes to these high end products from void, db-mark etc. they are all pretty similar, I guess it just comes down to usability and personal preference. I just don't know whether to get rid of my void in place for the db-mark, although the extra two outputs is swaying my decision the most as I'm wanting to add another kick section to my system, I'm currently using all 6 outputs on my void so need to think about my future needs

More
12 years 12 hours ago #17657 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic db-mark processors
When it comes to choosing a processor, most people look at price and the functions/facilities of the unit. What very few people seem to do is check out the inherent noise levels. This will tell you the real quality of the unit. Just plug the unit in to your system, and without any input signal just turn everything up and listen. You will be amazed at how bad some unit are. In the past I have done this with every single piece of equipment in the line, just to check how good, or not, things really are. These findings have a direct effect on the headroom of you system.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 12 hours ago #17658 by godge
Replied by godge on topic db-mark processors
That's an interesting point Tony.A.S.S. It's not something that I would have considered when choosing a unit but a very important one considering all the amps are being fed through the processor first, and as always your system is only as good as the weakest component. you could have quality amps throughout but if the processing is as you say bad with inherent noise levels then it defeats the object of spending all that money on good amps.

Can you explain a bit more on the effect it has on the headroom of a system

More
12 years 11 hours ago #17659 by tony.a.s.s.
I have only ever seen as a simple situation, and you have answered it yourself really. Your amps will amplify anything that is fed to them. When a system is cranked up, you will never hear this kind of noise over the music. I am not talking about mains hum or cable problems. Any extraneous noise will only be added to the music signal coming out of the unit and therefore help take up the capacity which we refer to as headroom. In some way, it would also help to degrade a pure signal.
The amount of noise level you get in this situation is directly connected to the quality of the components used to build the unit. This is the difference I see when looking at good units and cheaper options.

More
12 years 10 hours ago #17661 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic db-mark processors

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: The amount of noise level you get in this situation is directly connected to the quality of the components used to build the unit. This is the difference I see when looking at good units and cheaper options.

Which is why before I got involved with dB-Mark I purchased two of their units for evaluation.

The first thing I did was to take off the cover and inspect the following parts ADC, DAC, DSP, and the Op-Amps.

The first three were pretty much as good as you can get without getting silly and the op-amps were a type that I was not familiar with, however a quick search on the net found that they were used in some hi-end CD players and the like as well as my favourite PCI sound card the Emu 1212M so again no worries there.

Tests done by Audiomik and others have shown the unit to be considerably quieter than the Berry (established budget benchmark). They also sound to my ears and others with better and younger ears than mine to be very neutral sounding and the most important thing to appear to be very very reliable.

Don't always think that compromises have to be made because it is a budget product.

Tony

More
12 years 9 hours ago #17663 by tony.a.s.s.
Tony, I didn't realize that you have taken this on. I am not familiar with the units personally, but just to be clear, I am not assuming that all budget units are cheaply made, but historically, the only way to make a "semi-pro" unit at a price was to use cheap components, which could be more noisy than those found in the top end of the market. Over the years component price in real terms has come down, and I know that good units can be made in the middle price bracket that will perform well technically, but I think you'll agree, that the noise level in any unit should be checked. I sense that this isn't done often with many people acquiring equipment and is worth doing.

More
12 years 7 hours ago #17668 by bee
Replied by bee on topic db-mark processors
on the 2 db mark units knet (ken) used at one of the events we done last month they performed very well, i would still need to play around with one to give my take on them but so far so good.... smiley20

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds