heart Cubo 15

5 years 10 months ago #24253 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic Cubo 15
I have edited the emails from your post.

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 10 months ago #24256 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15

Is SICA 15k4 driver, good choice like the kappa pro 15lf?

The Sica 15K4 is definitely in the same league as the Kappa Pro 15LF,in some regards it's even better. You've got to respect a manufacturer posting the Klippel Xmax/ BL drop per millimetre, measurement in their pdf.

@Giveortake: Thanks man, appreciated!

Best regards Cubo

5 years 10 months ago #24261 by iampoor1
Replied by iampoor1 on topic Cubo 15

Cubo15 wrote:

I have a 24db octave High pass filter turned on on my crossover. I also have the 30hz 12db high pass filter turned on on my amp

So what is the frequency of your crossovers high pass?

The fact that you already have some sort of high pass in place and the 3015LF has a decent Xmech makes it reasonable that something else is going on. What excursion (peak-to-peak) do you estimate the cone is making when the noise occurs?

1. You're not looking at efficiency (that's in %), sensitivity is rated in dB/W/m
2. Sensitivity ratings are often hyped marketing figures, efficiency usually isn't
3. Efficiency and sensitivity have less influence in a Cubo 15 anyway

Cubo 15 with the 3015LF will have around 1 dB less overall sensitivity and 2 - 3 dB more power compression than Cubo 18 with the aforementioned drivers. Cubo 15 will likely sound better over 80 - 100 Hz. Cubo 18 is a step up in output, if you have the power to feed it and have tops with a good kick to them.

@juanito:

The SICA 15K4 can easily be used in both Cubo 15 (preferably Extra Extended otherwise Extended) and Cubo 15 Kick.

Best regards Cubo

Whoops, sorry thought I included that in my reply. It was set at 25hz.
I have borrowed a proper crossover so I can set it at 40hz 24db/octave and will report back. :)

I believe it is at about 9mm of Excursion, so I suppose that lines up.

Thank you for that clarification. Is the sensitivity of the cubo 15 102db @ 1w/1m? I am going to be doing some measurements here shortly with a measurement mic I just purchased.

Why is the sensitivity less important in the cubo series?

Okay, I have decided to try building a cubo 18 with the impero 18C driver as well and will report back with some measurements. My tops go down to around 90hz, so we should be okay. Also considering building a cubo 15 kick just for fun, so in the worst case, that should help. :D

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #24262 by Stalefish
Replied by Stalefish on topic Cubo 15
Hey there Cubo and the fair people of FSP,

Ive been trying to sim the cubo15 in Hornresp and having no luck. Finding it hard to get the right parameters. Could you tell me if this driver is suited well for the Cubo15?

Peerless FSL-1530
Cms - 0.1783mm/N
Qts - 0.24
Qes -0.25
Le - 1.16mH
Depth - 147.3mm
Vas - 187.7L
Power (RMS) - 200+ Watt
Diam. - 384.8mmØ
Fs - 40.43Hz
Power - 450W
Re - 5.23Ω
Qms - 5.85
Coil - 75.75mm
Impedance (Ohm) - 8 ohm
Mms - 86.9g
Impedance - 8Ω
Zn - 8Ω
Sens. - 98.4dB
Xmax - 2.2mm

Thankyou kindly,
-Stale

Edit: This driver has a very low excursion (2mm) so I dont think it will work.

I have attached the data sheet for 2 other drivers that are easily available to me, could you please check those for me aswell?

Thankyou
Attachments:

5 years 9 months ago #24267 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15

I believe it is at about 9mm of Excursion, so I suppose that lines up

It doesn't because Xmech on the 3015LF is 17 mm, which means it might start to distort a bit but is a far stretch from clapping against the back plate. So unless your 40 Hz, 24 dB/ octave high pass does work out, I would go look for construction-errors.

Thank you for that clarification. Is the sensitivity of the cubo 15 102db @ 1w/1m? I am going to be doing some measurements here shortly with a measurement mic I just purchased.

Around 101 dB/W/m, above 50 Hz, though some driver get as high as 103 dB/W/m.

Why is the sensitivity less important in the cubo series?

In general, sensitivity is less important in designs that boost the drivers efficiency quite a bit, like the Cubo-series. A lower sensitivity driver will bring down the average (by bringing down only a part of the total frequency response) but most 15" PA driver are within 1.5 - 3.5% efficiency (so the fluctuation isn't that big anyway).

That being said, I do like high sensitivity drivers for most of the Cubo-series. Unfortunately, many sensitivity figures for drivers are more related to marketing than engineering.

@Stalefish:

It does have very good parameters for Cubo 15 Extended but indeed 2 mm Xmax doesn't get you far beyond 150 W of amplifier power. Alternatively, it could take a lot more in a Cubo Kick 15 (300 - 500 W).

From the other drivers, the P150/2226 is my favourite. I'm sceptical about calling it a 1000 W AES driver (those are usually a bit beefier) but with 500 - 650 W it should be happy. All assuming proper processing of course ;)

Best regards Cubo

5 years 9 months ago #24271 by Grymer
Replied by Grymer on topic Cubo15
Cubo15 with kappalite 3015LF

How much watt do you think I can feed them? I’d like to setup a limiter using a volt-hardlimiter. I’ve read that the kappalite does 40v in bfms titan48, so do you think I should limit mine the same? Or can they go even further? 40v is equal to around 300w per cab, but the cab is also set to be cut at like 28hz

5 years 9 months ago #24273 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo15
When you say limiter do you mean peak or average?

Normally I would give a 3015LF around 500 - 600 W, unless your signal/music contains lot's of 30 - 40 Hz. Under normal conditions I would say that the 3015LF is electrically limited (it will over heat) before it's mechanically limited.

Best regards Cubo

5 years 9 months ago #24274 by Grymer
It's running through an amp that's rated at 600 RMS at 4 ohm, which both cubos are getting power from. So essentially they're at 300w each. The ohm does go lower than 4ohm, so the amp can probably do a bit more.

It's for a 12v speaker. The ones you keep hearing about haha. The way I'll set it up is with a hard-limiter. I'm gonna optimise the speakers for Spotify running on a mobile-phone. Signal from computers and phones using soundcloud is way louder, but since spotify is the main source, I'm gonna tell everybody using something else to lower the volume.

I'll run a sinus-tone and then set the voltage of the amp to around 40-50v (around 300-400w). I'll set the hard-limiter to that point and then put on spotify and make sure it just barely touch the limiter :)

If you have any suggestions for a good setting for my limiter (It's a compressor), then fire ahead :)

5 years 9 months ago #24275 by Grymer
It's running through an amp that's rated at 600 RMS at 4 ohm, which both cubos are getting power from. So essentially they're at 300w each. The ohm does go lower than 4ohm, so the amp can probably do a bit more.

It's for a 12v speaker. The ones you keep hearing about haha. The way I'll set it up is with a hard-limiter. I'm gonna optimise the speakers for Spotify running on a mobile-phone. Signal from computers and phones using soundcloud is way louder, but since spotify is the main source, I'm gonna tell everybody using something else to lower the volume.

I'll run a sinus-tone and then set the voltage of the amp to around 40-50v (around 300-400w). I'll set the hard-limiter to that point and then put on spotify and crank the master up, so it barely touches the limiter :)

If you have any suggestions for a good setting for my limiter (It's a compressor), then fire ahead :)

5 years 9 months ago #24279 by pukis
Replied by pukis on topic Cubo 15
Greatings cubo and other members,
My question is: is a fane sovereign pro 15-600lf suited for the cubo 15 enclosure ?
Thanks.