Cheapo Brands

More
15 years 9 months ago #3064 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Cheapo Brands
Ian, Mr Lyon Forge is now Mr Terralec, here in Southend, or should I say, around the corner from where I live in Rochford. Still selling cheap imported stuff.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #3065 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Cheapo Brands
Local Disco shop, used BK modules for years, I know the ex owner (Darryl Hayden) used hundreds of them in simple hire amp builds and never, ever, had one go down. That was before dubstep though ;)

More
15 years 9 months ago #3067 by tony.a.s.s.
The secret is obviously a simple solid design. There are a lot of Cinemas with these amps in. He also made the surround sound cabs on the side walls.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3068 by calsystems
Replied by calsystems on topic Cheapo Brands

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: Ian, a lot of older people will remember ILP I think from Canterbury. They must have made a lot of people dream about putting there own amps together

i picked up some home made amps, using ilp modules earlier this year. After doing so research i found that they are still around! and even have a website!

More
15 years 9 months ago #3070 by tony.a.s.s.
They are a busy company making transformers for the OEM market.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3084 by haymere
Replied by haymere on topic Cheapo Brands
Rotec

Made by a disco shop in Liverpool and seen in millions of pubs round the northwest. Rumour was they fitted them with any old sh*t that was lying around

More
15 years 9 months ago #3085 by vcmazz
Replied by vcmazz on topic Cheapo Brands
TK were in the Balls Pond Road and did, indeed, kick arse. The Fal 50 didn't. But I liked it - it was very easy and light to carry Anyone mentioned Pulsar yet? I might be able to get hold of a Fal 50 for you Nick, if you're prepared to trade in a couple of Fuzz Lights :-)

More
15 years 9 months ago #3086 by vcmazz
Nick, are we allowed to include lighting and stuff here? If not, I withdraw Pulsar. But if so, I shall throw in Pluto projectors (also those colour spinner things they did). ICE has been mentioned, but does anyone remember that truly awful bubble machine they came out with? And we musn't forget 'Orange'. Based in Reading if memory serves. Not strictly 'cheapo', but then neither were TK, NJD or ICE (who were infact positively over-priced in my opinion).

I remember the shop in Ealing but don't remember the name. It was in 'High Street' which is the other side of the Triangle to Bond Street. If anyone does know the whereabouts of the owner, could you tell him I'd like my light controller back? The shop seemed to have closed down when I went backto collect it. 25 years is surely long enough for such a small repair I shall go to J & S Sounds, Albany Road, Brentford next time. What do you mean they've gone as well?

One last one to mention - the ultimate pre-Technics obsession toy. Again not cheapo, but everyone else is cheating. I refer of course to the wonderful...... Citronic Thames II with that gorgeous tape deck in the middle and that marvellous 'autocue' facility. The height of sophistication.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3087 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic Cheapo Brands
Regarding ILP, I still have a couple of the 30w modules never used in the boxes. Also have the little pre-amp using their dedicated potted module in a nice extruded aluminium case. I will photograph and stick on site if anyone interested.
I used their toroids in all my home builds back in the 80,s

Tony

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

More
15 years 9 months ago #3088 by vcmazz
Actually Nick, you may be thinking of a different shop in Ealing to the one I had in mind. I think the one that did band gear and then got into the disco stuff was on the Uxbridge Road and was called 'Tempo'? Owned by Currys at the time I think.

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds