Cheapo Brands

More
15 years 7 months ago #4066 by justamadman
Replied by justamadman on topic Cheapo Brands

justamadman wrote: w audio...............................

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4078 by jazomir
Replied by jazomir on topic Cheapo Brands
Ah, Tony - I remember those mags well - I subscribed to all of them for many years (until they died out). Contributor Ken Dibble springs to mind - I still remember some of his reviews and tests in International Musician - as does Gary Cooper, who wrote several articles for Beat Instrumental, and gave some of my old mates mentions to boot. Also, I used to get Studio Sound from 1972/3 onwards - often had some good live sound articles - I could kick myself for throwing away almost 20 complete years of the magazine when I got married.
The only mag I sometimes (rarely) read now is Mix (US) which although expensive has a good mix (pardon the pun) of live sound and recording.

Regards,
Jazomir

More
15 years 7 months ago #4091 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Cheapo Brands
Jazzi, Did you know about Rick Desmond. When I used to run 1/4 page ads in Beat Instrumental, He was the guy who would come down to my house in Corringham where I lived at the time and sell me the ads. Later with a partner, Malcolm Green, who was at HH, they formed International Musician. Later bought into Penthouse and a lot of other things with Northern and Shell, and then bought the Daily Express. and OK mag. Rick is still going strong.
Regarding mags My girls get me MoJo. Thats good for old and new stuff. From the beginning of the '60's Melody Maker was the one, along with New Musical Express.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 7 months ago #4092 by norty303
Replied by norty303 on topic Cheapo Brands
Not quite sure how Pulsar got a mention earlier, they are reknowned for making rock solid desks (Masterpiece) and dimmer packs along with other other fine stuff such as the flexi-flash which are by no means budget gear.

Care to explain why they got nominated?

More
15 years 7 months ago #4093 by vcmazz
Replied by vcmazz on topic Cheapo Brands
Yes. I just went off on a bit of a mobile disco tangent. They made some excellent budget light controllers.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4094 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Cheapo Brands
I actually own a set of w bins, mid tops and tops by august, they where built in the early to mid 70's all with makenzie speakers the tops where piezo. The where from the shop in ealing, purchased by my dad, then passed on to a few years ago!!. The cabinets are made from chipboard and have a black faberic cloth over them ill post a pic over the weekend.
Edited by: bee

More
15 years 7 months ago #4100 by jazomir
Tony, sorry - the name doesn't ring a bell, but I do remember the name of Malcolm Green, though I didn't realise he had links with International Musician. I personally never really had any dealings with the mags though I do remember some of your ads.
Do you think things would have been easier (and cheaper) if the internet had been available in those days to promote your wares, and how much business does it bring you nowdays?

Regards,
Jazomir

More
15 years 7 months ago #4101 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic Cheapo Brands

nickyburnell wrote: TUAC
<div> cgi.ebay.co.uk/1K-Tuac-TR-1000-Amplifier...d=p3286.c0.m14.l1318 </div>

The also made a range of amp modules that were unique in that they used a transformer to drive the transistor output stage!!! I purchased one on a trip to London once, Henry's I think.

Tony

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

More
15 years 7 months ago #4104 by tre4u2nv
Replied by tre4u2nv on topic Cheapo Brands
newham audio

beeson audio

johntson and jones [ balls pond road days]

holiday music

wem
Edited by: TRE4U2NV

IT TAKES ALLSORTS

More
15 years 7 months ago #4105 by jazomir
Newham Audio, that takes me back I used one of their rigs in 1971 at my school leaving disco. Can't remember details though.

Regards,
Jazomir

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds